2023 Mildura Writers Festival Residency
The Mildura Writers Festival invites established writers working in any genre to propose a project that will enhance the regional or national cultural landscape. The residency will be in Mildura, Victoria. Sitting on the edge of the Australian desert along the Murray River, Mildura is less than two hours’ drive from Mungo National Park within the World Heritage listed Willandra Lakes Region. The Mallee, extending beyond the South Australian and New South Wales borders is a region which has provided artistic inspiration to numerous writers, visual artists, filmmakers, and musicians. The Mildura Writers Festival has evolved into one of the finest literary festivals in the country, bringing together acclaimed Australian and international writers. It will be held from 13 – 16 July in 2023.
The Mildura Writers Festival residency will take place in the first half of 2023 with the following offerings:
• a stipend of $15,000
• some sponsored meals by local restaurants
• access to local areas of note and community groups
• assistance to find suitable and preferred accommodation
• access to all Mildura Writers Festival events
• an office space with Wi-Fi access
During the Mildura Writers Festival residency the successful applicant is expected to:
• Make significant progress on a project of their choice
• Arrange their own accommodation in Mildura for a minimum period of one month excluding the 13 – 16
July 2023 (while it is preferred that the month is uninterrupted, it is understood that the applicant may
need to make several trips to fulfill this one-month residency commitment)
• Host at least one workshop within the community (target audience and workshop programming to be . . ..
determined by the successful applicant) before and/or after the Mildura Writers Festival
• Attend the Mildura Writers Festival in 2023 as a special guest
• Arrange travel to and from Mildura
• Acknowledge the Mildura Writers Festival residency in any published works developed during the residency
All applicants must provide:
• The completed application form
• A current CV and brief biography
• Necessary supporting materials (see application form)
Arts Mildura and the Mildura Writers Festival are committed to providing equal opportunity for all Mildura Writers Festival residency applicants. All decisions will be made without consideration of race, gender, family status, age, sexual orientation, disability and religious or political beliefs.
Applications are now closed.
The successful applicant will be notified by the end of March.